Written by alaglaspools
August 29, 2019
At Alaglas Pools we caught the wave of fiberglass pool building over 30 years ago.
For us, it was solving the problems associated with long, massive construction processes, extended dig-to-swim times, relentless scheduling issues, weather interruptions and delays.
It boiled down to we weren’t having fun watching concrete dry.
Because we wanted the immediate gratification of a quality pool installed quickly, we launched down the fiberglass pool path and haven’t looked back.
According to a recent article in Aqua Magazine, “One of the biggest stories of the last few years in the pool business has been the growth of fiberglass pools. Estimates suggest fiberglass has garnered up to 17 percent of the new pool market. Overall, those market share numbers have been on the rise for the last decade, partly because fiberglass is taking business from gunite.”
Why? What’s causing the shift?
- Shorter Completion Times – Completion times for a fiberglass pool are anywhere from 2 – 4 weeks (weather permitting) while traditional concrete pools can take up to 4 months, again weather permitting.
- Controlled Quality – Fewer quality issues arise with fiberglass because each pool is made by skilled pool manufacturers within a controlled environment. Fewer variables equal less opportunities for things to go wrong. Quality is consistent and higher.
- Contemporary Design – Design options and customization are making fiberglass pools viable competitors to custom designed concrete pools. While the shape of a fiberglass pool is set, shapes and configuration options are increasing giving consumers more flexibility in design. Homeowners can add jets, fountains, bubblers, lighting, sundecks, wading pools, beach entries, spa options…. the list goes on. If you can dream it, you can build it! Plus, fiberglass pool manufacturers are continually working to push the design envelope and increase that ‘wow’ factor.
- Ease of Maintenance – Fiberglass pools are generally easier to maintain as the gel coat makes them impervious to algae and bacteria. Raise your hand if you like to spend hours scrubbing algae from a rough pool surface. No hands up? Yeah, we’re not fans either! Obviously, proper water care and pool maintenance factor into this but still, cleaning algae growth from a fiberglass pool is much easier than cleaning it from concrete. Especially for pools with shallow areas such as sundecks, tanning ledges, wading pools or beach entries. The shallow water heats up much faster than deeper areas and algae growth can bloom quickly. It’s not only unsightly but it can create a slippery surface and become a safety hazard in a concrete pool. Non-skid surfaces are part of the design in a fiberglass pool and, since the material is non-porous, algae can’t get a foothold.
- Cost Savings – You save money with fiberglass pools versus other type pools due to the overall reduced cost of ownership. This includes less chemical and maintenance expenses year after year. Your dig-to-swim time is also reduced making your happiness quotient higher. You can’t really put a price on that.
It’s no secret we’re sold on fiberglass pools. But we know that once you expreience the convenience, quality and cost savings, you will be too!
For more information or to locate your nearest Alaglas Fiberglass Pool Dealer, please contact us! We are happy to help!
Alaglas Introduces a new pool color!
You’ll be California Dreamin’ in this beautiful, freeform pool by Alaglas Pools.
The Majestic and Grand Majestic pool models are a combination of classic style and serene design.